Login / Register      Basket      Checkout

Hull FC Reserves 30-10 Halifax RLFC Reserves

15th July 2017, 17:12

Hull FC Reserves 30-10 Halifax RLFC Reserves

By Jacob Kilbride

Halifax RLFC Reserves fell to another defeat at the hands of Hull FC as a couple of tries from Matty Welham helped give the Black and Whites a 30-10 victory at Brantingham Park.

Hull took a 10-4 lead into the break after tries from Jack Wray and Welham had put them in front before Chris Cullimore pulled one back for Fax. 

However, the home side extended their advantage in the second period as another try from Welham and further scores from Mike Adlard, Lockland Fitzgerald and Ross Osborne secured a double over Fax. 

The Airlie Birds made a perfect start to the game with a try within the opening five minutes. Welham made a break down the left sideline and the winger then kicked over the top for the onrushing Jack Wray who walked over for the first score, with Wray converting.

Midway through the half, the home side increased their advantage, with Wray again the architect. The scrum-half’s stunning 40/20 gave FC good field position and they were able to cash in when Welham latched onto Conner Bower’s offload to score in the corner. 

On the half-hour mark, Fax cut Hull’s lead with their first try of the afternoon. Hooker Cullimore took full advantage of Martyn Reilly’s quick play of the ball to dart over the line from a few metres out.

Jordan Syme was unable to convert, leaving the score at 10-4. 

The home side responded well however, and almost regained their ten-point lead with a late chance before the break. After a quick move to the right flank, winger Nial Sidney failed to add the finishing touch as he knocked on near the try line. 

Once again, it was Hull who were the quickest out of the blocks with a try just a minute into the second half. Following an FC penalty on their 40-metre mark, Wray’s short ball sent Adlard over on the left side. 

Halifax fought back again though with a try just five minutes later. Prop Luke Nelmes powered through FC’s line to leave Brad Allen a simple try to the right of the posts. 

Morgan Punchard added the extras with his first effort of the afternoon. 

Hull showed their class though with two tries in the space of six minutes midway through the half. In the 55th minute, Wray’s grubber kick found Welham to touch down for his second of the day with Wray knocking over a superb touchline conversion. 

Soon after, FC were in again as Keiran Buchanan showed great reaction to flick the ball inside for Fitzgerald who dived over the line. Wray missed another tough conversion. 

Richard Horne’s side finished the game strongly with a final try in the dying minutes. After Welham was held up on the left side, FC played the ball through the middle and Osborne powered past three Halifax defenders on the line for a score. 

Wray capped a fine performance with a simple conversion from straight in front of the posts. 



Hull FC: #1 Mike Adlard, #2 Nial Sidney, #3 Conner Bower, #4 Kieran Buchanan, #5 Matty Welham, #6 Lockland Fitzgerald, #7 Jack Wray, #8 Ross Osbourne, #9 Bobby Downs, #10 Gareth Ellis,  #11 Brandon Westerman, #12 Jansin Turgut, #13 Zeus Silk


Subs: #14 Callum Tranmer, #15 Ash Bastiman, #16 Alex Gilbey, #17 Rob Branton


Halifax RLFC: #1 Jack Mead, #2 Jack Etchells, #3 Sam Smith, #4 Jordan Syme, #5 Jude Corcos, #6 Curtis Edwards-Hampson, #7 Morgan Punchard, #8 Luke Nelmes, #9 Chris Cullimore, #10 Martyn Reilly, #11 Connor Clayton, #12 Zak Dewhirst, #13 Will Calcott 


Subs: #15 Kian Oldroyd, #16 Aiden Hema, #17 Josun Landu, #17 Brad Allen, #18 Ben Jackson