Toronto Wolfpack 42-10 Halifax RLFC

29th April 2018, 13:00

Toronto Wolfpack 42-10 Halifax RLFC

By Jacob Kilbride

Halifax RLFC suffered their joint-heaviest defeat of the season after they were beaten 42-10 by league leaders Toronto Wolfpack at the New River Stadium in London.

Toronto got off to fine start in the first-half and led 30-4 at the break and went onto score another couple of tries in the second period to see out a tenth straight victory in all competions. 

Defeat for Halifax means that they remain in fifth place in the Betfred Championship table and just two points adrfit of fourth-placed London Broncos. 

Toronto raced out of the blocks and scored twice inside the first ten minutes to quickly open up a strong lead. Debutant prop forward Darcy Lussick, who signed from NRL side Manly Sea Eagles earlier this month, opened the scoring when barged over the whitewash from close range before winger Liam Kay found room to score on the left side after taking a Ryan Brierley cross-field kick with the assister converting both scores. 

The Wolfpack continued to demonstrate their mecurial offence and former Fax hooker Bob Beswick was the next on the scoresheet as he darted out of dummy half from close range with Brierley again adding the extras.

Midway through the half, Halifax enjoyed some rare possession in the Toronto half however the Wolfpack fought back to score twice within just three minutes to further their advantage.

Ex-London hooker Andy Ackers found a gap in the line in centre-field and teed up Brierley to score underneath the posts and soon after Ackers turned from assister to scorer with Fax again caught out by a quick dummy-half run from the hooker. Brierley was on target with both conversions.

Halifax ensured they wouldn't go scoreless, finally putting points on board in the final minute of the half. Ben Johnston's break on the left flank set up Conor McGrath to score in the corner but Shane Grady, celebrating his 200th career appearance, who took the kicking duties from the injured Steve Tyrer, missed from the conversion. 

The Fax fightback took a blow less than ten minutes after the restart as, after conceding two penalties in quick succession, the returning Cory Paterson charged over to extend the lead and Brierley added the extras. 

With a dozen minutes remaining, Halifax's second-half efforts were rewarded with a consolation try as Johnston took a wonderfu; chip kick over the top and assisted Ben Heaton to score on his return from injury. Grady made no mistake with the boot this time, scoring his first goal for Fax.   

Toronto ended with a high though, as Kay ended a quick shift wide with a touchdown on the left-side and Brierley made it seven goals from as many attempts to round off an impressive display from the Wolfpack.   

Toronto Wolfpack: Wallace, Pownall, Higson, Rawsthorne, Kay; McCrone, Brierley; Emmitt, Beswick, Sims; Paterson, Bussey, Lussick

Interchanges: Sidlow, Hopkins, Ackers, Whiting

Tries: Lussick (5'), Kay (9', 80'), Beswick (16'), Brierley (34'), Ackers (37'), Paterson (48')

Goals: Brierley (7/7)

Halifax: Sharp, Saltonstall, Tyrer, Heaton, McGrath; Murrell, Johnston, Fairbank, Maher; Butler, Grady, Grix

Interchanges: Kaye, Douglas, Green, E Morris

Tries: McGrath (39'), Heaton (68') 

Goals: Grady (1/2)