Halifax RLFC v Dewsbury Rams

Sunday 20th May 2018, 15:00pm

Championship - Round: 14

Stats over last 8 encounters











By Jacob Kilbride

Halifax RLFC fought back to come from behind and earn a 22-22 draw with Dewsbury Rams at the MBi Shay Stadium.

Halifax trailed 14-0 at half-time after a slow showing in the first 40 minutes but two tries from Steve Tyrer and a debut score from Quentin Laulu-Togaga’e (QLT) inspired a second-half fight back although Paul Sykes late penalty rescued the Rams a point.

The Rams were the quickest out of the blocks and were ahead after less than ten minutes when Jordan Crowther took a short ball from Josh Guzdek a couple of metres short of the line.

Sykes added the conversion and, three minutes later, extended the visitors’ lead with a penalty goal.

Dewsbury continued to dominate proceedings and had a second try when back rower Michael Knowles crossed over in the left corner to finish a slick play wide, with Sykes again adding two points.

In the closing stages of the half, both sides were reduced to 12 men as Ben Johnston and Toby Everett were shown yellow cards for their part in a scuffle near the Fax posts.

Halifax flew out of the blocks after the second-half restart and reduced the deficit after just seven minutes.

Home debutant QLT broke the Rams line before rounding a couple of defenders and touching down under the posts.

After converting QLT’s score, Tyrer further cut the lead with a stunning one-handed finish on the line after a quick spread to the left side.

The centre pulled wide the conversion but made amends as, just seven minutes later, Tyrer grounded a Scott Murrell cross-field kick after climbing higher than Rob Worrincy in the corner.

A touchline conversion from Fax’s top scorer put Fax ahead for the first time in the afternoon.

The lead lasted just a minute though as Worrincy intercepted a Ben Johnston pass on halfway before racing to the line. Sykes’ fourth goal reaffirmed the Rams’ four-point advantage.

With just seven minutes remaining, Halifax regained their slight lead as Ed Barber latched onto Ben Kaye’s grubber close to the line before Tyrer scored a conversion for a two-point lead.

In the dying minutes, Dewsbury rescued a point as Sykes saw a penalty goal crept just over the crossbar to put the game all square as it would remain until the finish.

Halifax RLFC: Lalau-Togaga’e, McGrath, Tryer, Barber, Sharp, Murrell, Johnston, Jacob Fairbank, Kaye, Fleming, Butler, Grady, Grix.

Interchanges: E Morris, Moore, Maher Jones

Tries: Laulu-Togaga’e (47’), Tryer (51’, 58’), Barber (73’)

Goals: Tyrer (3/4)

Sin Bin: Johnston (35’)

Dewsbury Rams: Guzdek, Worrincy, Glover, Hallett, Morton, Sykes, Brown, Wakeman, Ward, Teanby, Walshaw, Knowles, Crowther.

Interchanges: Sheriffe, Speakman, Everett, Igbinedion.

Tries: Crowther (9’), Knowles (26’), Worrincy (60’)

Goals: Sykes (5/5)

Sin Bin: Everett (35’)

Referee: Mr Pearson

Attendance: 1,739

Hitman Award: Jacob Fairbank

Halifax Man of The Match: Steve Tyrer