Halifax RLFC 22-41 London Broncos

Sunday 24th July 2016, 15:00pm

Championship - Round: 23


Ben Johnston, Will Sharp, Ed Barber 2,


Gareth Moore 3,


Eddie Battye 2, Matt Garside, Jamie Soward, Mark Ioane, Nick Slyney, Sadiq Adebiyi,


Jamie Soward 5, Apirana Pewhairangi,

Drop Goals

Jamie Soward,

Line Ups

Halifax RLFC

fb: Ben Johnston
w: Will Sharp
c: Ben Heaton
c: Jake Eccleston
w: James Saltonstall
so: Gareth Moore
sh: Scott Murrell
p: Mitch Cahalane
h: Connor Robinson
p: Luke Ambler
sr: Ed Barber
sr: Adam Tangata
lf: Jacob Fairbank
int: Ben Kaye
int: Richard Moore
int: Gavin Bennion
int: Ryan Boyle

London Broncos

fb: Alex Walker
w: Rhys Williams
c: Elliot Kear
c: Israel Eliab
w: Iliess Macani
so: Apirana Pewhairangi
sh: Jamie Soward
p: Mark Ioane
h: Andy Ackers
p: Callum Bustin
sr: Daniel Harrison
sr: Matt Garside
lf: Nick Slyney
int: James Cunningham
int: Eddie Battye
int: Jon Magrin
int: Sadiq Adebiyi

Match Report

By Ryan Daly

Halifax fell to a third straight Kingstone Press Championship defeat after losing 41-22 at home to London Broncos. 

After suffering defeat to top four rivals Featherstone Rovers in their last game, Richard Marshall’s Halifax were looking to bounce back to winning ways against 2nd place London Broncos. 

The game started in very tense fashion with both team hesitant to make any early mistakes, there was an early chance for the visitors to take the lead through Israel Eliab but Gareth Moore was on hand to make a last ditch tackle to keep the scores level. 

However on Halifax’s next set of tackles provided the games first try. A break away at pace from captain Scott Murrell saw him shrug off two defenders before playing the ball to Jacob Fairbank who eventually played it back to Ben Johnston to get over the line - evading two defenders. 

Gareth Moore took up kicking duties in replacement of the injured Steve Tyrer, the sidelined centre was awarded with a two-year contract extension before the game. 

Just short of the 20th minute mark London were back in the game, a burst through the middle by replacement Eddie Battye saw him crash over the try line Up stepped former NRL star Jamie Soward to convert the kick to make it 6-6. 

On the 28th minute London were ahead for the first time in the affair. Another break away from the visitors saw Andy Ackers run through the middle before squaring the ball to Battye to get over the line for his and the Broncos second try of the game. 

Soward duly converted. 

Three minutes before the half-time hooter London extended their lead, second row Matt Garside did superbly to get over the line under pressure from a Ben Heaton tackle, this time Soward missed the chance for an extra two points. 

HALF-TIME: Halifax RLFC 6-16 London Broncos

Five minutes after the restart the Broncos were over Halifax’s try line again and this time it was Soward. The ball was kept alive on the last tackle and it saw the former Penrith man pounce over the line evading the challenge of Johnston.

Soward picked himself off the turf to convert his own try. 

With just over 25 minutes of the game remaining Halifax were back in with a shout, Soward was sent to the sin bin by referee Gareth Hewer for a high tackle on Ben Heaton. 

From that resulting penalty, Luke Ambler played it to be Ben Johnston who offloaded to the better placed Sharp who got the ball over the line, Gareth Moore missed the conversion. 

On the 56th minute Halifax were over again and this time it was Ed Barber, good initial work from Gareth Moore who got the ball out to Barber the second row decided to go alone instead of playing the ball to Sharp who was in acres of space on the wing. 

Moore this time converted. 

Three minutes later Richard Marshall’s men were back in touching distance as Barber scored his second try in quick succession, this time it was some poor defending from the visitors, Barber mopped up and got over the line under the posts. 

Moore converted once again to bring the score line back to 22-22. 

However on the 62nd minute London regained their lead after prop Mark Ioane managed to bundle himself over the Halifax try line, once again the ever reliant Soward managed to kick the extra two for the visitors. 

With nine minutes of this fixture left Soward kicked a drop goal to extend the Kingstone Press Championship runners up of the regular season even further. 

The game was virtually over when Nick Slyney added another try to make the score line an impressive looking one for the visitors, Soward managed to extend his impressive conversion rate as he kicked between the posts once again. 

Another disappointing defeat in West Yorkshire was rounded off when interchange Sadiq Adebiyi managed to throw himself over the line in the last seconds of the game, Soward converted once again to give London a 41-22 victory on the final day of the regular season. 

FULL TIME: Halifax RLFC 22-41 London Broncos 



G Hewer



Half Time

6 - 16

Search on Twitter